Jimmy Archey took his band into Jimmy Ryans, one of the original “swing street” clubs, where they played for more than a year. Ryans had adopted a jazz policy in 1940 when Milt Gabler began holding Sunday afternoon jam sessions there, and it was the last club to go on 52nd Street, closing its doors only when the block was demolished in Spring 1962. Even then, Jimmy Ryans continued to mean good jazz on West 54th Street.
Henry Goodwin (tp) Jimmy Archey (tb) Benny Waters (cl & ss) Dick Wellstood (p) George “Pops” Foster (b) Tommy Benford (dr)
Recorded in 1952